English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a single word to call a company that does not manufacture products, but instead buys them and sells them again at a different price.

I came up with "reseller company"; is this a good description? Is there a better one?

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by J.R., cornbread ninja 麵包忍者, MετάEd, FumbleFingers, tchrist Feb 9 '13 at 13:59

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Just plain reseller is perfectly normal. So is retailer. But much depends on context we don't have here. In the UK, for example, companies that sell new cars (but don't actually make them) are normally called dealerships or distributors. – FumbleFingers Jan 17 '13 at 17:04
up vote 5 down vote accepted

As noted in comments, reseller (“a company or individual that purchases goods or services with the intention of reselling them rather than consuming or using them”) may be suitable. If the reseller in some way adds value to a product (eg by customization) they are a VAR, a value-added reseller, “a company that adds extra features to products it has bought before selling them on.”

When more- or less-specialized terms apply, they are more likely to be used, depending on context and custom. These include the following (some of them already mentioned):
retailer, “A retail sales company or salesman”
distributor, “One who distributes”
broker, “A mediator between a buyer and seller”
dealer, “One who deals things, especially automobiles; a middleman” or “A particular type of stock broker or trader”
trader, “One who gains a livelihood from trading goods or securities”
middleman, “An intermediate dealer between the manufacturer and the retailer or customer”
horsetrader, “One who is skillful in transacting or negotiating of any kind”

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.